Tuesday, April 27, 2010

intial (booky) works

I have been playing with form in my initial MFA works - these first pieces are each made from a World Book encyclopaedia 1984 Year Book (my last year of high school). In both new books the sections (collection of folded pages) are created from a single page of the original book - coptic bound to form a closed circle.


the first book form has been bound with a twist to create a mobius strip



the second is bound as a circle - an infinite loop
and when I've been playing with the malleable form
I liked it best when arranged in this manner....
echoing an infinity symbol



I'm pleased with the two forms... but wonder if the huge amount of labour is worthwhile (each one of these takes about a week of consistent work to complete) - I'm not sure how much an audience can understand the process involved in making - coptic binding is the earliest form of bookbinding and dates back to the beginning of the codex as we recognise it today (more than 2000 years) - a book structure consisting sewn sections to create individual pages....

the process of binding these structures has become a strangely meditative one for me - and I think of these almost as warm-up exercises - and the end result as small sketches

equally however, as I'm binding more and more structures of this nature, I can envisage them all together in some way - perhaps components of an installation?.... for now I'll just continue exploring ideas of form through the process of binding...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.