Sunday, October 10, 2010

permaculture design certificate - day six...

Permaculture design certificate day six - microclimates, eco-building design, and keyline....


Keyline is one of those semi- mysterious yet commonsense, practical things that has become more associated with and integrated in permaculture courses. Keyline originated in the 1950s with P.A. Yeomans who developed a system of design principles and techniques to sustainably harvest, move and use and keep water in a landscape. It's a complex, wholistic and essential system of land management involving dam/water storage, swales, contour ploughing and more....

In most permaculture courses keyline is taught hands on - in the sandpit....

there's nothing like getting your fingers in a pile of sand to start to understand keyline.....

I found keyline a fascinating and exciting subject - and something I know that I will be looking into in greater detail in the future.... but I expect it may seem off-topic for the research I'm currently undertaking - I suspect I will be arguing otherwise - just as through my work I am essentially questioning the site and shape of knowledge, using the book as symbol and subject..... I am equally interested in knowledge of land(site) and usage so keyline both challenges and builds upon my experience on and with land.... what we 'know' about land and how we 'know' it mirrors that of any subject...

who knows - maybe this is the germination of a divergent branch in my practice..... 'keyline as art'......

hmmmmm





....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.