here's what the little space looks like....
(more of the story was blogged here and here )
in through the front door and it's 'codex nautilus' (an infinite book arranged as a boat)
and on the ground is a little installation 'navicula'
made of encyclopaedia page origami boats
(they are carrying a load of rock salt
and navigating the passage around towers of world book encyclopaedias)
and on the ground is a little installation 'navicula'
made of encyclopaedia page origami boats
(they are carrying a load of rock salt
and navigating the passage around towers of world book encyclopaedias)
'navicula' (little boat)
through the middle of the space - some booky pieces in the foreground
and 'sic transit gloria mundi' on the back wall....
and 'sic transit gloria mundi' on the back wall....
last week a bloggy/booky/calligraphic colleague braved the space
(I was really touched that they travelled so far...)
we're standing in front of a mix of things.....
serpens volumen - arcus pluvius is sitting so neatly on a gallery shelf....
serpens volumen - arcus pluvius is sitting so neatly on a gallery shelf....
it looks like it was purpose-built!
above is 'virtus libris' (the virtuous book) and below is a de/recontruction of its (dirty) components - 'virtus ex libris' (virtues from the book)
as well as my more esoteric photographic and sculptural works, I included a small collection of hand-bound books. Not only did I hope that this would be a sound financial move (this is a small country town, small gallery space).... I wanted to celebrate the act of bookbinding - to juxtapose finely crafted, practical, traditional things amongst scenes of book destruction if you like.
(If I were working the show for a different space I think it would be done in a different manner - including the use of digital screens for my photographic pieces as opposed to photographic prints.....)
‘panton volvit plenus orbis’ (everything turns full circle) - installation of circular book forms
and a plinth with my carved reclaimed high school 'Gardeners' text..... 'ars gratia artis'
I have constructed more of these circular forms to install as part of the small sculpture show with SotE this coming week ...
and talking of upcoming events - today and tomorrow I'm participating in 'speed-dating for artists' - so I'm off to Merimbula later today to learn how to date the big arty commercial galleries... and tomorrow I present my work to 6 of them (in rapid succession). It will be 'interesting' if nothing else!
Next weekend I'm speaking a the SotE sculpture symposium, and I have a little ephemeral work I'm planning to unleash on an unsuspecting Bermagui on the Saturday (talk is on the Sunday)
Oh and this past week I met with ANU field studies mob (with John Reid in the lead) regarding ANU arty students invading the south coast in coming months - I may be making something in conjunction with them (we'll see what comes of that)
busy busy busy!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.