Friday, March 4, 2011

sculpture on the edge...

Late last night and early this morning I set up my two pieces as part of Sculpture on the Edge...

In the small sculpture show I have a version of the installation piece ‘panton volvit plenus orbis’ – (everything turns full circle)....





And on the headland I have an ephemeral piece made from 16 world book encyclopaedias set out in a circle (actually as compass points - volume one points north, the rest follow the simple points)



On top of each closed volume is a rounded rock, collected from the base of the headland where these are set up - except for volume one - which has half a brick and a small rounded grey river rock.....



I'm really pleased with the piece...... some visitors may recall my piece on the headland from last year and may make the connection (last year I set up a tower of world book encyclopaedias...). This piece was created in direct response to all the problems and controversy surrounding the site on the headland in Bermagui.... it got to totally ludicrous levels - so that even a week ago the SotE committee still couldn't be sure if the event could go ahead on the site... In a nutshell - the local koori family's laid claim to the piece of land - and the site does contain remnants of traditional middens and artifacts - in response NPWS and the local council have block vehicular access to the area.... and then with SotE,  there was a heck of a kerfuffle about what sites could be disturbed and in what way in order to install sculptures... Now I have no problem with any of this and the local korri land council had no drama with SotE doing whatever wherever - I thought SotE needed to be mindful of the site and make sensitive arrangements BUT know one seemed to know anything and anything..... and no one was willing to make a decision, lest it be the wrong one! - NPWS shifted responsibility to BVSC, who shifted it to back to NPWS and around and around it went ...... oh boy!)

I figure a circle of closed books and a brick captures the moment - even if simply for a closed audience.


....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.